Michael "Mike" Carr (email@example.com) focuses his practice on personal injury and criminal defense.
An experienced litigator, he has tried more than 40 jury trials in state and federal court as lead counsel, ranging from complex civil personal injury cases to triple homicide capital murder defense.
In addition to this practice, Michael is heavily involved in several professional organizations. He currently serves as Mississippi Bar Commissioner for the 11th Circuit, and regularly participates in Wills for Heroes, where he assists first responders with drafting wills and estate planning. He has served as a judge and attorney coach for the Mississippi High School Mock Trial Competition for ten years.
A regular presenter at the University of Mississippi, Delta State University, and Continuing Legal Education events, Mike has received statewide recognition for his work with Lawyers in Every Classroom, which educates high school and college students on a wide range of topics involving the legal profession. Mike was named Outstanding Young Lawyer of the Year in 2014 by the Mississippi Bar, and maintains a top "AV" rating by Martindale Hubbell.
Areas of practice
- Criminal Defense
- Personal Injury
- University of Mississippi, J.D.
- University of Mississippi, B.A. History/Spanish
- All Mississippi state and federal courts
- 5th Circuit Court of Appeals
Professional Memberships and Community Involvement
- Co-Chair, Solo and Small Firms Committee (2016-2017)
- CJA Panel Counsel - Northern District of Mississippi (2016-present)
- Bolivar County Bar Association (president, 2012-2016)
- American Bar Association
- Mississippi Bar Association
- American Inns of Court
- Panel Counsel - Southern States Police Benevolent Association (2011 to present)
- Northern District Chair - Mississippi High School Mock Trial Competition - 2013
- Statewide Chair - Mississippi High School Mock Trial Competition - 2014
- Statewide Chair – Lawyer in Every Classroom – 2014
Awards and Recognition
- America's Top 100 Criminal Defense Attorneys-2017
- Best Attorney in Bolivar County-2017 People's Choice Awards, Bolivar Commercial
- Super Lawyer Magazine-2012-2017
- Outstanding Young Lawyer of the Year - 2014
- Recipient - Mississippi Bar Foundation and Board of Trustees 2013 Law-Related Public Education Award in recognition for work with Lawyer in Every Classroom, Mississippi High School Mock Trial Association, and Wills for Heroes.
- Martindale Hubbell AV Preeminent Peer Review Rated Attorney, October 2012
- Selected – Top 40 Under 40 – The Cleveland Current
- Who’s Who in American Law, 2007.
- Best’s Directories of Recommended Insurance Attorneys and Adjusters, 2007
- Riggins v. City of Indianola, 2016 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 96549 (N.D. Miss. July 25, 2016)
- Starks v. Keys, 2016 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 40226 (N.D. Miss. March 28, 2016)
- Campbell v. City of Indianola, 2015 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 96834 (N.D. Miss. July 24, 2015)
- Strickland v. City of Crenshaw, 2015 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 96478 (N.D. Miss. July 20, 2015)
- Moore v. Lipscomb Oil Co., 2015 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 29026 (N.D. Miss. Mar. 10, 2015)
- Cox v. Desoto County Jail of Hernando, 2015 U.S. Dist., LEXIS 15807 (N.D., Feb. 10, 2015)
- Bell v. Itawamba County Sch. Bd., 774 F. 3d 280 (5th Cir. Miss. 2014)
- Myrick v. City of Indianola, 2014 U.S. Dist., LEXIS 134600 (N.D. Miss., Sept. 25, 2014)
- Wrenn v. DeSoto County, 2014 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 119439 (N.D. Miss. July 29, 2014)
- Langston v. Rascoe, 2014 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 69016 (N.D. Miss. May 19, 2014)
- Estate of Manus v. Webster County, 2014 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 43536 (N.D. Miss. Mar. 31, 2014)
- Carthan v. Patterson, 134 So. 3d 374 (Miss. Ct. App. 2014)
- B.A. v. Miss. High Sch. Activities Ass'n, 2013 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 150188 (N.D. Miss. Oct. 18, 2013)
- Wilson v. Rascoe, 2012 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 136771 (N.D. Miss. Sept. 25, 2012)
- Gunn v. City of Cleveland, 2012 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 95795 (N.D. Miss. July 11, 2012)
- Wade. Harris, 2012 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 36330 (N.D. Miss. Mar. 19, 2012)
- Brown v. Sudduth, 675 F.3d 472 (5th Cir. Miss. 2012)
- Johnson v. Kemp, 2012 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 36329 (N.D. Miss. Mar. 16, 2012)
- Bell v. Itawamba County Sch. Bd., 2012 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 34839 (N.D. Miss. Mar. 14, 2012)
- Lenz v. Tate County, 2012 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 1601 (N.D. Miss. Jan. 5, 2012)
- Clein v. Rankin County Sch. Dist., 78 So. 3d 384 (Miss. Ct. App. 2012)
- Fulilove v. State, 101 So. 3d 669 (Miss. Ct. App. 2012)
- Townes v. Rasco, 2011 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 142789 (N.D. Miss. Dec. 12, 2011)
- Stapleton v. Coahoma County, 2011 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 52915 (N.D. Miss. May 17, 2011)
- Harrison v. Mayor, 73 So. 3d 1145 (Miss. 2011)
- Shaw v. State, 74 So. 3d 379 (Miss. Ct. App 2011)
- McBride v. State, 78 So. 3d 359 (Miss. Ct. App 2011)
- Moore v. State, 64 So. 3d 542, (Miss. Ct. App 2011)
- Jackson v. State, 70 So. 3d 1137, (Miss. Ct. App 2011)
- Hampton v. State, 48 So. 3d 605, (Miss. Ct. App 2010)
- Higginbotham v. Lehman-Roberts Co., 23 So. 3d 521 (Miss. Ct. App. 2009)
- Lange v. City of Batesville, 972 So. 2d 11 (Miss. Ct. App. 2008)
Publications and Presentations
- "Marching to the Beat of Your Own Drum: Opening and Running a Solo Practice", presentation to the Annual Meeting and Summer School of the MS Bar Association, Sandestin, FL, July 10, 2018
- "Cultivating, Choosing, and Managing Clients", presentation to Professor Phillip Broadhead's Solo and Small Firm Practice Class, University of Mississippi School of Law, April 6, 2018
- "Amicable Adversity", presentation to the Bridge that Gaps Seminar for Young Lawyers, Oxford, MS, November 30, 2017
- "Legal Marketing and Management: The Business of Selling Advocacy", presentation to Graduate Level Marketing Class at Delta State University, Cleveland, MS, November 6, 2017
- "Criminal Justice Act Update", presentation to the William Cady American Inns of Court, Oxford, MS, October 26, 2017
- "Exploring the Ethics of Physical Therapy", presentation to the Statewide Conference of the Physical Therapy Association, Vicksburg, MS, September 23, 2017
- “Candor to the Court: Ethical Issues Arising in Criminal Representation”, presentation to the Bridge the Gap seminar for young lawyers at the Oxford Convention Center, Oxford, MS, December 1, 2016.
- “Legal Update for PT and OT Practitioners”, presentation to the statewide conference of the Mississippi Physical Therapy Association, Tupelo, MS October 25, 2016
- “Ethical and Legal Issues in Adult Drug Court”, presentation to the Mississippi Association of Drug Court Professionals at its annual meeting in Tupelo, MS August 25, 2016.
- “Public Speaking in the Age of the iPad: Raising Confidence and Self-Esteem Through the Spoken Word”. presentation at the statewide conference of the Mississippi Association for Gifted Children, Pearl, MS, August 9, 2016.
- “Mississippi School Law for Beginning Teachers: Impact of the Mississippi Tort Claims Act in the Classroom”, presentation for Teach for America Summer Institute, Delta State University, Cleveland, MS, July 20, 2016.
- “Legal Update for PT and OT Practitioners”, presentation to the Mississippi Physical Therapy Association & Mississippi Occupational Therapy Association, North Sunflower Medical Center, Ruleville, MS, April 21, 2016.
- Arthur H. Calderon & Michael S. Carr, Fearing Fido: Recent Trends Involving First Responders, Man's Best Friend, and Damages, Blue Review, 22 (2015).
- "Avoiding the Legal Blues: Copyright and Trademark Issues Surrounding the Modern Music Industry", presentation at the International Conference on the Blues, Delta State University, Cleveland, Mississippi, October 5, 2015.
- "Introduction to the U.S. Legal System and Freedom of Speech from a Cross-Cultural Perspective", presentation to law school faculty delegation from John Paul II Catholic University, Lublin, Poland at Delta State University, Cleveland, MS, October 2, 2015.
- "Ethical and Legal Issues in Adult Drug Court", presentation to the Mississippi Association of Drug Court Professionals at its Annual conference, Biloxi, MS, August 21, 2015.
- “Mississippi School Law for Beginning Teachers: Impact of the Mississippi Tort Claims Act in the Classroom”, presentation for Teach for America Summer Institute, Delta State University, Cleveland, MS, July 15, 2015.
- “Legal Update for PT and OT Practitioners”, presentation to the Mississippi Physical Therapy Association & Mississippi Occupational Therapy Association, North Sunflower Medical Center, Ruleville, MS, April 7, 2015.
- “Legal Implications of Being a Teacher/Coach: Duties, Rights, and Immunity from Suit” seminar presented to the Health and Physical Education/Recreation Department of Delta State University, Cleveland, MS February 2015.
- "Jury Service: Voir Dire to Verdict" presentation to The Madison Center for the Study of Human Rights and the Constitution at Delta State University, Cleveland, MS September 2014
- “RFK in the Delta” presented to American Government class at Coahoma Community College, Clarksdale, MS September 2014.
- "Legal Ethics Update", presentation to the Mississippi Physical Therapy Association & Mississippi Occupational Therapy Association, Ruleville, MS, May 15, 2012.
- "Ethics and Recent Cases Involving Breaches of Ethics", presentation to the Mississippi Physical Therapy Association & Mississippi Occupational Therapy Association, Ruleville, MS, May 7, 2009.
- "The Role of National Governments in Providing Models for Continuity of Governmental Services and Sustainable Growth: Terrorism's Challenges to the Rule of Law,"World Jurist Association Jerusalem Conference 2008, Jerusalem, Israel, June 12-17, 2008.
- "Remedies in Election Disputes: The International Context" Equality Center of the Human Rights Campaign Foundation, Washington, DC, April 18, 2008.
- "The Modern-Day Jaundice v. Jaundice: What is a Reasonable Amount of Time to Build a Public Road?" Zoning and Planning Law Report newsletter, April 15, 2008. Government Law Center of Albany Law School, NY.
- International Election Principles. Chapter 12: "Effective, Timely, Appropriate, & Enforceable Remedies," edited by John Hardin Young, American Bar Association, 2008.
- "Sweet Water and State Lines: A New Boundary Dispute East of the Mississippi River," presented to the Groundwater Management District Association Spring Conference, Tallahassee, Florida, Jan 5-8, 2008
- Construction Defect Litigation: A Three-Part Legal Update for Swiss Reinsurance Company, Chicago, IL May 4, 2007 - May 25 , 2007 - June 8 , 2007.
- "The Impact of Illegal Immigration on Local Governments in the Areas of Law Enforcement: Education and Incarceration of Criminals", World Jurist Association, Conference on World Wide Immigration and the Rule of Law Wilshire Grand Hotel, Los Angeles, April 22-26, 2007.
- "Mandatory Death Penalty and a Just Rule of Law: Can These Ever Equate?" Scholarship Essay presented to the Public Law Section of the International Bar Association, April 12, 2007.
- "Mississippi Tort Claims Act & §1983 Litigation: Update Covering January 2006 -April 2007 Rulings Relevant To Public Sector Claims And Practice," presented to Trident Insurance Company, April 12-13, 2007 San Antonio, TX.
- "Impact of Illegal Immigration on Local Government Law Enforcement", presented at the March 2007 International Municipal Lawyers Association Mid-Year Seminar, Washington, D.C.
- "Supreme Court Issues Dam Ruling: Discharge Triggers Permit Requirement Even in Absence of Pollution" presented at the Groundwater Management Districts Association 2006 Summer Conference, Jackson Hole, Wyoming, June, 2006.